Sunday, February 15, 2009

A New Quilting Journey!




Yesterday was SO FUN!!! My new friend Mona and I went down to Monument to a quilt shop called "Wild Heather" to meet with the ATC trading group- and what a blast it was!

The group is run by a local designer, Liz Kettle (co-author of Stitch Journeys), and the store owner, Heather (who is a pattern designer as well), is also a member of the group. We were warmly welcomed by all, and so inspired by all of the work we saw on the cards we traded. We each had to talk a bit about how we got the idea for our cards and what mediums/techniques we used. It is an incredibly talented group, and I just want to try so many things now! lol

The quilts on the wall and the fabrics in the store were also awe-inspiring, and I have a idea now for two wall hangings- a series I think that will include more than two- that I can't wait to get started on. I have been sketching and all night I dreamed of thread and what elements I want to have in these quilts. I'm not kidding!

However, I am going to start with the Stitch Journeys book; I bought it yesterday at the shop. Liz is delightful in person and when I got reading the book, I found that her co-author is from Newmarket, Ontario- and the threads they feature are Canadian. Unfortunately, that means I can't get most of them around here. But that is what ordering online is for! lol

I will learn how to use all of these threads and the techniques that go with them, and then I can start my quilt. No patterns, no rules- just my creative juices flowing. Let's see if I can transfer what I see in my head onto fabric. (That hasn't worked so well for me in the past...but I will think positively! lol)

For now, here is just a sample of the beautiful cards I got in the trade yesterday. The theme was "words" and everyone saw it a bit differently. To see the collection of what I made and all of what I got yesterday, you can go to my Webshots album (link on the right side of this page).

1 comments:

Calicojoan said...

Now those are cool. You are going to have to teach the rest of us here soon!

ingedu

 
Template by suckmylolly.com